You are now entering the SELECTOOL ZONE
Follow these simple instructions for BEST SUCCESS
I'm J.R. Neumiller.
Owner of the SELECTOOL - Master Knife and Tool Sharpener
I have PERSONALLY sharpened over 100,000 knives over the last ten years, and I can state with utter certainty that the SELECTOOL will sharpen more accurately, more consistently, and more efficiently than any other hand-held sharpener in existence - bar none.
If you're not willing to take the 2-3 minutes to learn how it works, it's going to be a cheap piece of junk that you might as well turn around and send back right now.
(I could not be more serious.)
- The people who come to this experience not knowing everything will get the most satisfaction and joy.
- The people who were "born boy scouts" will rush ahead, FAIL, and then blame everyone but themselves for their error.
I don't want that to happen to you, okay?
Work with me and learn how to do this right the first time and you'll love it as much as I do.
The SELECTOOL is like nothing else you've ever used before
(I cannot stress that enough)
It does two things very well
- It FINDS the native angle of any edge, (knife, axe, razor blade,)
- and HOLDS it place with every stroke
It does this with a pair of
"A Guide for Each Side"
(Which is totally different from your "fixed V" sharpeners that work both sides at once - which is VERY inaccurate and hard on knives)
And That's Why You will Sharpen
and FINISH the edge
IN THE MIDDLE
LIKE A PROFESSIONAL
So let's get to it!
Watch this short video to see THE KEY
to getting the SELECTOOL to sharpen everything.
- Detailed Instructions -
YOUR FIRST KNIFE
1. Choose a simple, thin, inexpensive knife as your first target. (A kitchen paring knife is perfect.)
2. Find a firm surface where you can rest the SELECTOOL facing towards you
3. (Put a magazine or newspaper under it to protect the edge of the table.)
- Your old, worn out, granddaddy's hunting knife is not your best starter knife. (You'll get to those later.) Start with something simple to begin with.
- Keep all flesh away from the sharpening notches. Blades are SHARP and can hurt you. Be careful at all times.
- DO NOT "freehand" or try to sharpen without using a table or firm surface. This is DANGEROUS and will give very poor results.
THE SHARPENING ACTION
This is so simple and efficient, you're going to fall in love the first time you do it.
With the tool on the table facing you –
- Put your hand on the tool with four fingers, leaving the thumb free.
- Put the tip of your knife STRAIGHT IN the notch
and TURN THE TOOL to the right until it stops.
- The blade will stop and LOCK in place.
- Practice this until it feels second nature.
- Don’t try to angle or align the blade yourself.
- TURN THE TOOL. The blade will center for you perfectly, every time.
Now put your thumb on the blade
PRESS straight down
(Your thumb controls the pressure with every stroke giving you TOTAL CONTROL over every sharpening stroke.)
Sharpen in This Sequence -
Finish every stroke through the tip.
If you'll do it this way -
- The tip will get sharpened first, (the hardest part of any knife to sharpen.)
- Every part of the knife gets the right amount of sharpening - the tip more, the base less.
- You will avoid creating a "groove" in the belly of the knife this way.
Learn to Do It This Way and You'll Get Excellent Results Every Time
NOW SHARPEN SIDE TWO
It’s the same thing as side one.
- Put your thumb on the tip
- PRESS and sharpen straight down
- Start at the tip and work down to the base
Both sides are now perfectly aligned, and you should feel the edge is very sharp.
FINISH THE EDGE
A truly sharp edge is a FINISHED edge. Watch how we do this.
Use the side KNIFE GUIDE
Put your blade in the notch
While drawing it lightly towards you -
- Roll the blade to the right
- And roll it to the left
Blade is finished when both sides sound and feel smooth
That is the perfect technique to sharpen every angled blade.
(Serrated knives, scissors, and tools are sharpened a bit differently. Watch our training videos to see how.)