SHARPENING AN AXE
- Put your axe edge in one of the two notches on the end.
- “Flair” the edge open in the notch until you feel the bevel flattening against the sharpening insert. (Visually watch the bevel doing this.)
- When it feels tight against the bevel, press down with firm pressure. Start at the bottom and sharpen cleanly to the top with each stroke.
- Sharpen the other side the same way,
SMOOTH THE AXE EDGE:
- Put the SELECTOOL on its side, Knife Guide up, and smooth the edge against the rounded inserts.
- Deliberately roll the blade to the right and to the left in light easy strokes.
- Only a few smoothing strokes are needed, (an axe doesn’t need a highly refined edge.)