The built-in Side Knife Guide is incredibly useful. It's one of the strongest features of the SELECTOOL, and is what makes it the last sharpener you'll ever need.
It has THREE PURPOSES -
1. A blade hone.
- Draw your blade across the two inserts.
- Roll left as you draw, then roll right.
- Each side feels smoother and smoother, until the edge is smooth AND sharp.
2. A Serrated Knife sharpener.
Serrations are like little saw teeth. They cut like little razors. It's just the tips of each tooth needs to be straightened and kept sharp.
- Brush the teeth lightly across the inserts.
- Do not roll or lean, but draw straight through.
- Repeat multiple times until the tips are tight and sharp.
3. A Razor Knife sharpener
Razor knives are extremely thin and sharp. They can be resharpened by drawing the blade straight through the middle of the inserts.
- Use light pressure and do not dig.
- Go slightly to the right and left if the edge does not fully straighten.
- Feel the edge as you go. Make adjustments as necessary.
Having such a narrow blade angle means razor blades wear out quickly. Oftentimes, they cannot be fully recovered and need replacing. (Your mileage may vary.) Use the SELECTOOL Side Knife Guide to keep them sharper longer.